Saturday, July 08, 2006

Peace Corps Volunteer...officially

Well, I called Peace Corps and received the usual "Application Status Update" e-mail which basically states that I have accepted the invitation to Nicaragua and am now a volunteer. (I never thought I would see the day my application status page would be filled with all checkmarks--all of you applicants know the frustration I'm talking about...filling out forms and requests, then checking the status only to find out that again they are requesting more information!) It was truly a nightmare. : )

Anyway, on to the more important details. Just thought I would share a little about what I'll be doing, when, etc.

My Job Title: Environmental Education Promoter

My Job Description/Purpose: "To facilitate the sustainable management of communities' natural resources through education and community action in order to conserve the local environment and improve people's livelihoods." (Sounds pretty impressive, huh!) More basically, I will be working with teachers and primary school-aged children on environmental topics and projects, both in the school and in the community.

IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER: Just remember, these dates could change.

*Orientation Dates (somewhere in the U.S.): August 28 - August 30, 2006
*Pre-Service Training: September 1 - November 17, 2006
*Dates of Service: November 17, 2006 - November 16, 2008

I think that's all for now. The next step (which will happen around the end of July) is to receive my second packet of info which tells me where my orientation will be held in the U.S. (keep your fingers crossed for San Francisco), it'll include a packing list, as well as how to arrange my flight.

6 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I am so excited about hopefully becoming close to fluent in Spanish. That's cool about your friend in Nepal. I wouldn't object to meeting a cute Nicaraguan man. : )

I think after French and Spanish, I'd actually like to try either Chinese or Arabic.

Yes, I don't know how many, but I should be with around 30 or so other volunteers.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I'd have to say it depends on the part of PA because by just being a visitor here in Pittsburgh, I have found so many places I didn't know existed when I lived here. Valencia is a really cool city I've heard, just a little touristy.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Susan said...

That would be a great idea. Are you currently a teacher? The students will be primary...I believe.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Hi! Yeah, there are plenty of places you can go where they speak English, but if you go somewhere in which they speak another language, the Peace Corps trains you for the first three months in the language.

Check it out: www.peacecorps.gov

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Laura Hopps said...

Hey, I ran into your blog when I was researching something on google. I will be spending the next 2 years in Nicaragua as well, starting a volunteer program through a cultural center in Managua. Is it hard to get an extended visa? I wondered if you have any tips for us? We are leaving the end of August. I hope you are enjoying your time there thus far!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Laura Hopps said...

sorry i didn't include this...the blog about our project is:

http://bataholavolunteers.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home