Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bienvenidos de Nicaragua

Well, I'm finally here. I have to make this quick because I am using another volunteer's computer who has wireless...and there's about 4 others waiting. So, what's been going on? It's nice to hear from everyone and I apologize that I'm not able to respond quickly, but I love hearing what everyone's up to...even if it may seem ordinary or boring to you!! : )

We had our training in D.C. for 2 days. It was basically just an overview of Peace Corps with a heavy emphasis on safety, safety, safety! We got to meet the other volunteers going. There are 53 total in the sectors of Agriculture, Environmental Education, and TEFL training. They gave us $140 in walk around/food money which was really nice because I hadn't brought much with me. Then, we left our hotel at 1:00 A.M. on Wed. to head to the airport. We took a quick tour of the monuments in D.C., then arrived at the airport around 3:30 A.M., just to sit until the desks opened at 5. So, needless to say, we haven't gotten much sleep.

We arrived in Nicaragua around 11:30 A.M. the same day. When we arrived, we were greeted by current volunteers who have been staying with us in our resort hotel which has been really nice to get to talk to them. The hotel we are staying in is amazing, as well as the people. We started our training which includes 4 shots this week. I will be receiving 17 total shots in the next 11 weeks...aren't you jealous! We also had our language test, just a short conversation, to see which training group we'll be in.

Saturday, we will meet our host families and will be placed in our new towns for the next 11 weeks of traing. Other than that not much going on. I haven't encountered any bugs yet, which I am VERY happy about and the weather is that bad so far, although we have a.c. at the hotel. That's all for now. I will write again when I can. Remember, if you would like to send anything, don't send it in a box but in a padded envelope!

Jen: They have the white pineapple and it's sooo good! The food is amazing here so far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home