Monday, November 06, 2006

Nicaragua poll points to Ortega

That was todays headline in the BBC. Yesterday, November 5th, were the big elections in Nicaragua. There were 5 candidates, yes the most ever in their history. Around 70% of the people of Nicaragua voted. Incredible right! I must admitt it was pretty exciting. The entire day people flocking to the schools to vote. In Nicaragua, there is a law called the dry law which states that it is prohibited to drink about 48 hours before the elections. It seems like a sensible law, although, of course people stock up for the celebrations afterwards. At 6 o´clock last night, they closed the poles and about 8 o´clock the people started flocking to the park to begin the celebrations. Finally after much anticipation, about 11, the results started coming in.

Because of potential danger, we were mandated by Peace Corps to stay close to home, so unfortunately, I didn´t get to witness the celebrations. That doesn´t go to say that I couldn´t hear them. At around 12 or so, when I was already in bed, I heard the band wagons coming around with their huge speakers broadcasting that Daniel Ortega of the FSLN had one, while playing his theme song in the background. My family being Sandinista needless to say were exstatic! So, from about 12 until 3 or 4 all that was heard was cheering, gun shots being fired, fireworks, and lots of music! It was a pretty exciting night, although a sleepless one. : ) Now, we will see what happens next. It´s definitely an exciting, yet slightly uneasy, time to be leaving in Nicaragua!

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Daddy,

It has actually been really calm here considering the results of the elections. I feel pretty safe though considering the memebers of my family are avid Sandinistas! We should got off standfast which means we had to stay in our sites!! So, off to the beach and movies this weekend, our last weekend in our sites!

Jen,

Yes, my number is the same. Have fun at the beach...I might be there, too!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Hi Susan! I hope you are doing well. It sounds like you are getting some great experiences over there! Could you post your address again? I seem to have misplaced it. It is so exciting that you get to have Thanksgiving with such important people! I've been thinking about and praying for you.

-Kristi

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Susan said...

heh, thanks...but you still have a week to go! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home