Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Our first reunion

All of the volunteers in the Environmental Education sector got together today for a technical meeting (basically about our job description). In the next couple of weeks, we are going to be surveying our town to assess their needs and figure out what environmental project we are going to do with the community. We are also going to be doing ´charlas´(environmental chats) with the 3rd through 6th graders in the elementary school. I went to visit a 4th grade classroom with another volunteer the other day. Let´s just say that the noise level in the classroom is about 5 notches higher than in the states! At one point, I was just taking notes as part of the observation and about 8 or 9 students just surrounded me and were watching me. Everyone is so interested in the gringos.

Anyway, at our reunion today I found out that one of the volunteers has left already after the first day. I feel so bad because it was one of the girls I roomed with when we first got here. She was really sweet, but had a basic level of Spanish, so I can imagine how difficult it is. Not only can you not understand or speak, but you are living in conditions that are completely different than what you´re used to. I think many of us weren´t quite expecting the degree of poverty that we´re living in right now. I have to admit that the thought of being here for 2 years has scared me a bit and made me a little doubtful of if I can do it, but I just keep reminding myself of why I am here...and pray a lot. : ) Your comments and e-mails definitely help though...and letters. : )

So, last night I had planned on getting home around 5, studying, then maybe going to bed a little early so I could get some reading in. Yeah, that didn´t happen. First, Doña Christian (my host mom) told me we were going to visit her other daughter who I hadn´t met yet. Then, the power went out (which has happened two of the three days I´ve been here), so she changed the plans and I ended up going to Jinotepe (a city close to my town) with my 2 host brothers and sister. We got to eat pizza though, so it was all good. I also had my first taxi ride which wasn´t so bad and was only $5 cordobas (17 cordos = $1...you figure it out). I was a little weary about the ride though just for the fact that most of the cars have several cracks in the windshield, including mine. And, the way to find out if the car is a taxi or not (because they all don´t have a sign) is just to whistle really loudly and if it stops, there ya go. So, after we returned, we ended up going to the daughter´s house because the power came back on. Remember, I just had pizza but because it was around dinner time the sister gave me a huge plate of food. It´s rude to refuse it, so I just ended up eating about a 3rd. I can definitely see myself getting a little gorda (fat) while I´m hear. It´s so funny because if you are fat, they have no problem and it´s perfectly acceptable to call someone gordo right to their face.

My family is so awesome hear! I really got lucky. Remember how I saw my host brother is a stylist? Well, today he did my hair and he is also supposed to give me a manicure soon. : ) As first, I was a little shy around them, but they joke around so much that it´s hard not to join in. It´s so cute how much they take care of me. Like last night when we were walking, they keep grabbing my arm whenever there was a puddle, telling me, ¨Cuidate, Susie!¨ (Be careful!)

I guess that´s all for now. This will probably be my last one at least for a few days until we get our next little paycheck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home