Friday, November 17, 2006

Peace Corps Volunteer


Today I was sworn in as an official Peace Corps volunteer! We had a big ceremony with the ambassador and some other important people. Our families also came and of course there was food! We had it at this hotel called the Intercontinental that costs about $179 per night. Needless to say, that's not where we are staying while in Managua. It's really exciting finally being finished with training and about to embark on our new lives in our sites! I can't wait to get there and start meeting everyone, although, I do really miss my training host family. I've already made plans though to go back there for a few days for Christmas! : )

Tomorrow, we are off to a rainforest called Selva Negra. I am really excited that we get to go there so soon in our service...and...Peace Corps is paying for hotel and food (supposedly, everything is really expensive there being that it's a tourist attraction). Then, Monday we return for the AVC (All Volunteer Conference) where all of the volunteers that are currently in Nicaragua come together for about 3 days of activities. It sounds like a lot of fun and will be interesting to meet others that have been here for a while. Plus, we get to stay in this really nice hotel, the one we stayed in when we got here. Thursday, as you know, is Thanksgiving, which we will be spending at the ambassador's house who will be cooking us a typical dinner. I may have already mentioned this, but I'm pretty excited about turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie!


This is my family: Julio, Lupe (7 months pregnant), my nephew Marlito, my dad Don Julio, mom, Dona Cristian, sister, Sacharis, and brother Marlon...and dog, Ducha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home