Thursday, February 22, 2007

Where does the time go??

I have found myself to be super busy within these last couple of weeks and have wondered lately where does all of my time go. When I signed up for the Peace Corps I thought I would have 2 years of relaxation...to read, study Spanish and French, or just have time to do whatever it was I wanted to do in the states but was too busy to do. However, I find myself just as busy here as I was in the states. So, where does all of this time go being that I am still just observing in the schools. Let´s see...

*learning to play the guitar
*traveling to Juigalpa to do errands (1 hour in bus each way and always at least a few-hour
event due to bus schedule)
*traveling to Cuapa (1/2 in bus) for meetings
*visiting the people in my town (for each person I visit I have to dedicate at least an hour and
1/2 for talking, eating, etc.
--This has been driving me crazy a little because in the beginning I made the mistake of trying
talk to everybody I encountered. You may be thinking, ¨What is the problem? Isn´t that what a volunteer should be doing?¨ The problem is that after you talk to someone once naturally they want you to visit all the time which wouldn´t be a problem if it was possible to do an ¨American-style¨visit (just a quick 5 minute-hello, then you´re out the door. : ) however, this is not possible here, well it is but you would be considered maleducada for being so apurada (in a rush). And I think living in a small town makes it more difficult because I pretty much know everyone. Even though it stresses me out trying to think of everyone I should be visiting but haven´t lately, I think this will definitely be one of the things I will miss the most after my two years, the fact that people have or make time to sit and chat for a few hours.

*birthday parties and other fiestas (which usually take up an entire day re not in my town)

On top of all of the above mentioned activities here are a few more things that have been occupying my time here in Nicaragua:

*This is a picture of a teacher capacitación (workshop) on Participatory Education I along with two other volunteers gave in my town.


*This is us at the famous Rock of Cuapa. It doesn´t look that big, but the climb to the top is pretty intense. (I just had a photo of the acutal rock, but I just deleted it and unfortunately don´t have time to repost! : ) The person to my right is another volunteer from AZ and the others are a super nice family I am friends with in Cuapa.



This is what you see if you make it to the top along with an amazing view!


1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Thanks! Hope things are going well there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home